Do you want your page to rank on the first page of the search engines? Of course, the answer is a big yes. Each website owner wants all the pages on the first page of search engines for all the keywords. But there is a lot of efforts and techniques that need to be followed if you want your website over there. This requires both on page optimization and also off page optimization. In this article, we will be looking at the On Page SEO Techniques to rank you on the first page.
Important On Page SEO techniques you have to follow:
- Keywords Research: This is the first foundation block of creating your online presence and for your successful SEO campaign. You will be required to do a keyword research using some of the tools available. One of the free keyword research tools is Google AdWords Keywords Tool. Keywords should be relevant to the business/service offering. While researching, keywords and content on the website should be of a similar theme. It should not happen that your website is about training while the keywords you are using are of gadgets and you are promoting gadgets on your website. In such case, the search engines get confused about what you want to promote on your website.
- Tags: Tag is a keyword or term assigned to a piece of information. This information is divided into several sub-categories:
- Meta Tags (Title, Description)
- Title Tags: Title tag is the most important tags and the first things the search engines read. Google typically displays the first 50-60 characters of a title tag. A title should explain each page uniquely of the services/information being offered/given respectively.
- Description Tag: Meta descriptions can be of any length, but the search engines generally truncate snippets longer than 160 characters. So, it is best to keep Meta descriptions between 150 and 160 characters. While writing a meta description, use a description that is compelling and should have a keyword and a call to action.
- Alt Tags: You will agree that the Search Engines can’t read and understand images. So for the images, the search engines need to be told the information that the image is all about. That is where the alt tags become handy.
- Heading Tags: This helps human readers and search engines spiders to understand the content better and focus on key themes. There can be more than one Heading tags but should be used carefully and only where it makes sense to highlight.You can provide all the tags in the post as you can see in the image below:
- Meta Tags (Title, Description)
- URL Naming: Name should ideally include meaningful words and if possible the keywords should be included in it. The words should be separated by a hyphen (-). It is not recommended to use underscores, spaces, or any other special characters to separate words.
- Anchor Text: This is a visible, clickable text which is hyperlinked. This is very important in order do to link building.
- Cross-Linking: While creating the pages, there has to be cross-linking of content. For cross-linking, use the anchor text that we just talked about. This will help to navigate across different pages from one page and also this improves the time people spend on the website and also reduces page bounce rate.
- Broken Links: Broken link is when a person clicks on a link and that particular link is not available and you get a 404 error. Do you really think you can afford to have a broken link? How can you afford to have a broken link? With great difficulty, you are getting people to click to your website and then show people a 404 page.
Also when a web crawler comes to your website and is navigating on your site when they see a broken link, this actually breaks the journey of SE spiders and hence they can’t traverse through all the pages of a website. You regularly need to check broken links of your website.
- Sitemaps: This is a map that helps search engines bots to navigate easily through your website. Shows a quick, easy-to-follow overview of your site. For the visitors, this also provides a tool for easy navigation.
- Robots file: Let us first understand what is a robots.txt file? It is text file used that instructs search engine robots, how to crawl and index pages on a website. Robots.txt needs to be placed in the top-level directory of a web server in order to be useful. Example: http:/www.yourdomain.com/robots.txt
Example of Robots.txt:
User-agent: * Disallow: /wp-admin/ Disallow: /wp-includes/ User-agent: NinjaBot Allow: / User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Allow: /
So, you need to create your checklist for on-page optimization.