This looks to be such an easy question how to set up an email address? But it’s very important for you to understand as this can make or break your business.
If you are a business professional and you have a domain www.yourdomain.com and you have created a email on a public domain and are sending emails from email@example.com to your customers, what do you think your customers would feel about the mail. Well the answer is, at the very first instance itself, they would not trust you, because anyone can create those mails on the public domain.
So when creating your emails, you have to be very particular of choosing which email ID you will be using to for the purpose of your business.
Suppose you want to send casual mails to your friends / acquaintance and there you use the emails ID’s of public domain like firstname.lastname@example.org, there it’s fine, but not for business purposes.
Now let me explain you how to set up an email address on your server:
First you need to have your own domain name. You can get one from Godaddy, 1and1, Hostgator, DreamHost or Bluehost. Once you have your domain you need to host it with any of the hosting providers. Once you are hosting your domain and you have an access to the cPanel of your hosting, just follow the steps below to set up an email address.
- Provide your username and password to enter your hosting account.
2. Once you have entered into your cPanel, then look for the option of Email Accounts
3. Click on the Email Accounts and you new page will open up.
4. Now you can type in the name of the person for whom you are creating an email account, provide the password and also confirm the password. Depending on your hosting package, you will see the options of Mailbox Quota. You can decide how much quota you want to allocate for the email ID you are creating. If you do not want to have any limitations, you can choose Unlimited.
5. Once done, click on create account and you will get a confirmation message. Also youe email will appear on the page.
6. Once you have created the email, you can configure the same on any of the email softwares like Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live etc. For that you will require the SMTP details and other email configuration details.
7. So, click on More and then click on Configure Email Client. You will get all the options to and details to configure the email. You can use these values when configuring the email in Windows Live or Microsoft Outlook. But be careful in sending emails as there is a limitation on the number of emails you can send per hour.
8. In case you want to access the email directly online then click on Access Webmail.
You can choose any of the three platforms to access your webmail. The basic difference is the look and feel of the platforms. You can choose the one you are comfortable with.
Now you are all set to send emails. In case you want to use this email ID for email marketing, do consider this post on email marketing.